FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Quote Unquote by Neil Grant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Bookshelf
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Stanley Laurel
Cuckoo

England.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Quote Unquote by Neil Grant Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm. A misquote on the very front cover! Not very inspiring is it? Actually, it's not a bad little read if probably really quite insignificant. We don't learn a lot by reading this book, although it does provide us with some nice photographs on very nice glossy paper.

80 pages, first published by Parragon in 1994, the profusely illustrated chapters are as follows ...
    Innocent Anarchists
    Young Stan
    Babe
    Mr Laurel and Mr Hardy
    Short and Silent
    LearningTo Talk
    The Features
    Wives
    Last Films
    L&H Filmography

The text is reasonably OK and as per the title of the book it is interspersed with quotes attributed to the Boys, and others from their films. If you haven't got it, it's worth picking it up from a sale or an auction. The pictures ARE lovely, and I don't suspect that it's going to cost you much to buy - it appears on eBay with alarming regularity!
Waiter (uncredited)
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

Wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first Laurel and Hardy book that I got, when it was first released. It's a bit confusing for someone who's 10 (in '94) to read, but I've still got it, and read it occasionally. There are really good pictures.
'Twas first released as part a 'Quote Unquote' series, and I've seen other similiar books about other famous people in bookshop, but never bought one.
Stan

England.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got this book as well. Presumably with the "Fine Mess" legend on the cover, this is the bit referred to as "Unquote".

Stan
Mad
Kay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the same as the german "Die Legende lebt" and it looks like this, there are some (little) mistakes written inside. I don't like the book, but I cut out one Page to illustrate my autograph from the boys. So the book has its part for my collection...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Bookshelf All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: