FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
SPECIAL CINEMA SCREENING OF LAUREL & HARDY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great event. Needless to say but: Have fun!

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although all 200 tickets were allocated, only 131 bodies made it the venue. Possibly due to the miserable weather on the day or perhaps because of the current 'inconvenient' diversions/roadworks on the road to Lanark. However that didn't take anything away from the fact we managed to re-create the opening night at the Regal some 71 years ago. I think it's safe to say the event was a big success.

Willie McIntyre was one of our honoured guests and was there with his memorabilia stall. Celebrity comedian Johnny Beattie MBE (80) had the audience rolling in the aisles during his presentation speech. He talked about seeing Laurel and Hardy LIVE at the Glasgow Empire (where Johnny himself performed over the years) and explained that the Empire audiences had a reputation for being tough audiences. Johnny quipped, "The audience at the Empire left no turn unstoned", a great one-liner which I hope translates. Sadly 2 of our special guests weren't able to appear. Jay Crawford and Claire McGuinness. I was particularly disappointed not to meet Claire on this occasion, I look forward to meeting up with her at some point in the future.

Panopticon theatre usherette 'Deirdrie' was in full vintage usherette costume which added to the atmosphere. Thanks go to Deirdrie for giving up her free time to come along before dashing off to appear at the Edinburgh Fringe.

Usherette Deirdrie

As planned we showed 'Battle Of The Century', 'Big Business', 'Towed In The Hole' and two of the films shown on the opening night of the venue in 1936, namely, 'Manhattan Monkey Business' with Charley Chase and of course The Bohemian Girl which was again the main attraction.

Two members of the audience, sprightly 86 year old Jack Trevin and lively 85 year old, Mrs Scott were also at the original opening night in 1936 whilst aged 15 and 14 respectively. They were more than happy to reminisce to the audience their memories of the event in 1936. It was wonderful to meet them.

Glenboig bar manager Alan got a few heads turning when he showed up dressed as Oliver Hardy to add a little atmosphere to the event. His efforts were well received by the audience. Alan helped with the raffle and happily posed for photographs throughout the night. As for his skinny sidekick... I did the best I could with just a polka dot bow tie and a bowler hat at my disposal. Shocked

Some people I'd like to thank...

Thanks to the forum members who came along, I hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks go to Dean for donating some Stan Laurel interview cd's.
Thanks to Willie McIntyre for surprising me by presenting me with a copy of Bill Cassara's Edgar Kennedy book and for donating L&H goody bags and a copy of the Laurel and Hardy Digest.
Thanks to the grand sheiks, Janice (Bonnie Scotland tent) and Dougie (Their Purple Moment tent), vice sheik John Bogie (Fra Diavolo tent) and the various tent members from all over who came along. It was nice to see you all.
Thanks to Johnny Beattie MBE for accepting our invitation to come along and for entertaining the audience.
Thanks to Stars In Their Eyes winner Gary Mullen for coming along as a guest and for donating 4 tickets to his LIVE show.
Thanks to Alan (Ally-oke) for coming along dressed as Oliver Hardy.
Thanks to Al Black for helping out with transport.
Thanks to Martin and Jeanette Carrol, managing directors of the venue for making this event possible and for donating 2 cinema sized Laurel and Hardy posters.
Thanks to Dave the professional photographer (AKA forum member Sam Tyler) who took some cracking photos.
Thanks to projectionist Scott for running the films so smoothly.
Thanks to Mike Lee, son of the original manager of the theatre who not only travelled from England for the event, but also brought the original telegram which Laurel and Hardy sent to the theatre at the time of its opening. Mike also donated the original 'opening night' programme to the 'sons of the desert'. Therefore, in memory of Oliver Hardy who died 50 years ago (on August 7th 1957) I intend to donate this 'rare' program to the Laurel and Hardy Museum in Harlem, Georgia.
Most of all, thanks go the audience who travelled from afar, ignoring the bad weather to come out. Whilst it may have been pouring with rain on the outside of the Regal... inside the sun was shining!

Watch this space for photos.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Fra Diavolo Tent, Scotland

Last edited by Ross on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:44 pm; edited 14 times in total
Dean
Global Mod
Global Mod

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time was had by all, I can just imagine what Johnny had to say. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny was great Dean. He knows his stuff and really impressed us with his knowledge of Laurel and Hardy. He did a short lecture on their history, often going into great detail. He talked about Jack McCabe too, explaining to the audience about his books and who he was etc. He then told us he had a copy of McCabes book signed by none other than Stan Laurel himself. Johnny added that the book was given to him by an old friend (in showbusiness I think) who's name he mentioned but escapes me at the moment. He cracked many jokes and entertained us all. Downstairs in the foyer during one of the breaks Johnny was talking about the time he played golf in a pro celebrity charity match. His team included Burt Lancaster and Babe's old pal Bing Crosby. Other players included Bob Hope and Sir Norman Wisdom. It was a great story. He said Norman got stuck in a bunker and when he noticed Johnny was looking at him, Norman went into a full comedy routine in the bunker just for Johnny's pleasure. A one man audience. That's a trait I can vouch that Norman Wisdom carries to this day, he never stops performing, even in a one to one situation. At 80 years young Johnny looks great and still has that glint in his eye. His peers are some of the worlds greatest entertainers of their generation, as Johnny is, yet his feet remain firmly on the ground.

a true gentleman... and a genuine Laurel and Hardy fan.

Johnny with 2 of our most loyal junior tent members.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
colly
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to all organisers of the "BIG EVENT". It was a night that shall remain in the memories of all who were there. A fitting tribute to the BOYS that they themselves would be proud of.
Johnny Beattie MBE could pack a full house as a stand up comedian anytime.
Bonnie Scotland
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ross for a wonderful evening, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to more events like this in the future. Needless to say I'm thrilled to have won Jean Darling's signed photo in the raffle.
My Daughters went to bed & demanded they watched Son's of the desert, but they only lasted 10 minutes before falling asleep.
I wish all the best to Martin and Jeanette at the venue and hope business picks up soon.
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colly wrote:
Congratulations to all organisers of the "BIG EVENT". It was a night that shall remain in the memories of all who were there. A fitting tribute to the BOYS that they themselves would be proud of.

Bonnie Scotland wrote:
Thanks Ross for a wonderful evening.

Thanks guys, it was a pleasure.

Stuart I'm glad you won something. It was fun posing outside the theatre for the big photo wasn't it. Actually there's a great story came out of that. Whilst we were recreating the outside queue of 1936 for photographic purposes (during the interval we dragged the entire audience outside) - Willie McIntyre tells me that 2 young local lads who were passing by asked what was going on. After being told it was a Laurel and Hardy event, the lads asked how much it was to get in and someone said £2. The pay off was... the lads joined the end of the VIRTUAL queue! Very Happy

The photos will be arriving here from the official photographer around 8pm tonight. I'll post them on the forum as soon as they arrive.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Oxford Chump
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: lanark Reply with quote

what a night. fantastic!

thanks ross and co

oxford chump
john-Bogie
Vice Sheik

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Ross, for a wonderful evening, It was a lot to organize, I hope that this wonderful building can be saved, It would be terrible to lose it and all the history that goes with it, I could kick myself for not getting a photo with Johnny Beattie as he came and spoke to me & I had my camera with me How dumb can I get ? However, there may be another opportunity, I hope ! It would be great to have another night here at this lovely cinema, It's great seeing
"The Boys" on the big screen, I too was disappointed not to meet Clare Mcguinness, as I especially wore my James Finlayson T. shirt,
My thanks again, Ross for a great night

John Bogie, Vice Sheik
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Chump wrote:
what a night. fantastic!

thanks ross and co

oxford chump

hey there, thanks for coming in and leaving a comment. welcome to the forum.

john-Bogie wrote:
My thanks again, Ross for a great night

John I'm glad you made it all the way from Elgin. That was a monster trip. You must have been knackered.

I'm taking a framed photo of the boys at the Empire (in their kilts) to Johnny at some point (its his favourite pic). I will let you know when that's happening and you can come along and present it to him on behalf of the tent. You can have your photo opportunity then. Very Happy

Ross

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
sugardaddie

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
again to Ross thanx for a fantastic night and a big thank you to John for getting Nicole and i there Razz

sadly it was a bit dark to take video footage but the memory of the night will live on..also Nicole was so happy to win in the raffle AGAIN
i noticed in tonights news about a theatre just like the Regal which has been donated money from the National lottery fund so there is always hope(see link below)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6930000/newsid_6939100?redirect=6939142.stm
sugardaddie

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report in todays paper

Quote:
Special guest at Laurel and Hardy event

Showing of The Bohemian Girl

THERE was a very special, surprise guest of honour at Sunday's `Laurel and Hardy Day' event at Lanark's Vogue.
As reported in the Gazette, the fan club of the comedy duo, The Sons of the Desert, staged a special showing of The Bohemian Girl, the Laurel and Hardy comedy which was the first film screened in the Bannatyne Street building when it opened as The Regal Cinema in 1936.
Eighty-five year old Charlotte Rose Scott, of Braedale Road, Lanark, is probably the last surviving member of that orginal audience on the Regal's opening night 71 years ago!
Charlotte was the daughter and sister of, respectively, John Brown Snr and Jnr., then well-known Lanark builders who played an important part in building The Regal. Both were invited to the opening night but Charlotte's dad passed the ticket to his then 14-year-old daughter and she can still remember the thrill of going through the doors of Lanark's then shiny, brand new, art-deco cinema for the first time.
An avid Gazette reader, when she discovered the special showing on Sunday, she contacted the Gazette and we contacted the Vogue's management who immediately made two tickets available for Charlotte and her granddaughter to attend the show.

Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Looks like the reporter didn't know 86 year old Jack was there until the article was submitted. I did tell him but he was worried that the article had already gone to press. We are appearing in next weeks paper too. The photos Smile

Regarding that theatre gtting the lottery grant, someone mentioned this to me at the event. I told the manager so here's hoping the theatre doesn't have to close. Thanks for posting the link and the article Marc.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
john-Bogie
Vice Sheik

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
John I'm glad you made it all the way from Elgin. That was a monster trip. You must have been knackered.

I'm taking a framed photo of the boys at the Empire (in their kilts) to Johnny at some point (its his favourite pic). I will let you know when that's happening and you can come along and present it to him on behalf of the tent. You can have your photo opportunity then. Very Happy

Ross

Thanks Ross, that's very thoughtful, I would love that, I have that photo you speak of & It's my favourite, I have it hanging in my hall and look at it every day;
Regarding the Regal/Vogue building, could'nt the owners contact the B.B.C. news or S.T.V.'s Scotland Today programme and highlight their plight ? even show them photo's of our recent event, or maybe Johnny Beattie could be their spokesman ? What do you think Ross ? Thanks again Ross, Hope we can organise a similar event very soon, Fraternally yours,

John Bogie, Vice Sheik
cuckoo
Grand Sheik

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I greatly enjoyed the day. I was also very flattered that Ross presented me with a book about the Hal Roach Studios (which I have now almost finished reading - it is great!). The quality of the projection and film presentation were outstanding and The Bohemian Girl certainly benefited from the new lease of life that it was given at Lanark. Thanks, Ross, for making me so welcome. Let's hope you can repeat this ambitious and successful event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: