FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
LettersFromStan.com - UPDATES
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Links
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sap At Sea
Cuckoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: LettersFromStan.com - UPDATES Reply with quote

For the past couple of years I have been mulling over the idea of publishing a book that compiled as many of Stan Laurel's letters as I could find. I've personally collected a small number of original letters and also have a large file with copies of many letters. On a side-note, I am a published author, with one of my books being a New York Times best-seller. BUT, recently I've started thinking that a website compiling Stan's letters might be a better idea. It would be searchable, instantly accessible and have the ability to grow with new acquisitions. So with that, I'd like to make a rather exciting announcement and present:

The Stan Laurel Correspondence Archive Project

Starting with his early days in British vaudeville, where he worked with Charlie Chaplin, to his teaming with Oliver Hardy at Hal Roach Studios in 1926, Stan Laurel's talents proved him to be one of the all-time masters of comedy. He loved to make people laugh. He also loved to write letters. Lots of them. In fact, after the death of his long-time partner, it is estimated that Stan wrote several thousand letters!

Over the years, as the letter recipients have passed away, these letters through private sales, autograph and memorabilia shows, and auctions have scattered to all four corners of the world, where they now reside in scrapbooks, collector's albums or hang proudly on fan's walls.

The Stan Laurel Correspondence Archive Project hopes to collect and catalog as many of Stan's letters as is possible, and make their content available to fans and researchers all around the world, allowing everyone to better understand his life and celebrate his comedic genius.

This is a very ambitious project. To be successful, I desperately need your help. If you have an original letter from Stan or have a copy not included in these archives, please add a copy of your letter by contacting me via e-mail at: info@lettersfromstan.com

Visit The Stan Laurel Correspondence Archive Project at www.lettersfromstan.com

Bernie

View some of my personal collection:
www.ClassicComedians.com
Lucy
Chimp
Chimp

England.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic idea Bernie!! the very best of luck with the project- the website is fab ! How many letters do you have altogether? I'm amazed, they certainly are a treasure Shocked Very Happy
JDV

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful project! Wink
Sap At Sea
Cuckoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support! I am very excited that it's officially open! Can anyone help me with these requests:

1. Does anyone know the actual color of Stan's typewriter? The one I am using in the LettersFromStan.com masthead is the same model as Stan's, but I remember someone posted on this Forum a while back that a collector has Stan's typewriter. Has anyone seen it and if so, can you comment on the color?

2. I lost all of my Intra-Tent Journals in a move and remember they had a feature for a number of issues where they showcased one of Stan's letters. Is there a Son out there who has a large collection of Journals? If so, I'd love scans or copies of the letters to include in the Archive.

I have lots more letters in my files that I will be adding the rest of this weekend. Once that is accompished I will set up the SEARCH function and compile a short history of Stan for the website. Thanks again for your enthusiasm and support!

Bernie

www.ClassicComedians.com
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear of this project! You've started something great. I wish you all the best of success, and hope that you can obtain every letter existing. Then, you can publish a book of his letters, and we can all buy it. Does anyone know what has become (or is becoming) of John McCabe's papers? I'm sure that he had a whole pile of letters from Stan. It would be great to be able to collect everything existing from Stan in a book. There could be different chapters for different topics and themes, or else the letters could just be put in chronological order, with occasional notes on the letters' contents.
Dean
Global Mod
Global Mod

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your site Bernie, I've often thought of a similar idea, I'll be in touch soon, with some copies of letters I have saved and a copy of the one I own. There are people out there who own a lot of this stuff and won't share, I can't figure out their reasoning, but your site is something to be proud of. I've already added it to our links section.
Kay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again a great website Bernie!

The color of the typewriter:
http://www.laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2778
(also use the link to ebay)

Intra Tent Journal:
There are over 18 letters between 1999 and 2005. I send you a pm with a link to these.

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
Lord Rocberg
Cuckoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea. Always wondered why Stan's letter's where never collected in a book. Wish you all the best in your project.

Does Lois Laurel have any of her Dad's letters? Too bad she never wrote a book.
Sap At Sea
Cuckoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kay for the ITJ letters. they are VERY helpful! If there are any Sons who have been members of the organization for a looooong time, you might check some of the ITJ issues from the '70s. I did some drawings for the newsletter back then!

Bernie

www.ClassicComedians.com
JDV

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just thought of something. Some years ago, in the dutch magazine Blotto there was a series of articles about Stan's letters. It was called "Vijftig brieven van Stan Laurel" (50 letters from Stan Laurel). Part 1 appeared in Blotto nr 30, part 2 in Blotto nr 31.

More info can be found here:

http://www.blotto.nl/index.php/mag/bl30

http://www.blotto.nl/index.php/mag/bl31

Unfortunately, the website is dutch, so probably you won't be able to read it. Confused

I do not own these Blottos myself, so I don't know if these letters are published in Dutch or in English, but it might be worth checking out. Wink Perhaps someone who owns these Blottos can give us the answer?
Sap At Sea
Cuckoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDV wrote:
I do not own these Blottos myself, so I don't know if these letters are published in Dutch or in English, but it might be worth checking out. Wink Perhaps someone who owns these Blottos can give us the answer?

WOW! That would be great! Can anyone help?

Bernie

www.ClassicComedians.com
Richard
Beer Baron
Beer Baron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an excellent website.
The Wolf
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea!
Kay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sap At Sea wrote:
WOW! That would be great! Can anyone help?

Best way is to contact blotto:
http://www.blotto.nl/index.php/international/colofon/

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I love your site Bernie, I've often thought of a similar idea, I'll be in touch soon, with some copies of letters I have saved and a copy of the one I own. There are people out there who own a lot of this stuff and won't share, I can't figure out their reasoning, but your site is something to be proud of. I've already added it to our links section.

Thank you, Dean, for being willing to share. Whatever letters you've got (whether it be the actual letter or just the text of letters) are something unique that nobody else can read, but sharing the text of letters with this new website enables others who care about Stan to also read what he wrote.

It's a shame that others don't want to share their letters. It's not like they have to give them up- they only need to write down the text, or make a photocopy of the letter or postcard. To refuse to share is just plain ugly selfishness. If I had a letter written by someone of interest, whether it be Stan or someone else, I would share it. Maybe now that there's a website, more owners of Stan's letters will come forward and share the text of what they've got. I'm sure that a lot of collectors have the right attitude and will also share once they know that there's an archival project to keep Stan's written thoughts + opinions from being lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Links All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: