FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Yet another fine mess in Belfast

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry
Vice Sheik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Yet another fine mess in Belfast Reply with quote

Razz Just a note to say that the Another Fine Messers of NI enjoyed a wonderful Saturday evening with Jean Darling. Over 80 people came along to meet Jean and everyone enjoyed listening to wonderful stories of her days at the Hal Roach Studios, not to mention her stints in Vaudeville, on Broadway and her wartime experiences with the USO.

Films included Thicker Than Water; Boxing Gloves — dedicated to Jean —and Towed in a Hole. We surprised Jean when she entered the room by playing 'When I Marry Mr Snow' from the 1945 Broadway cast production of Carousel. She smiled warmly — as we all did — on hearing her own beautiful operatic voice singing the song. We surprised her again with 'This is Your Life' with Keith doing a passable Michael Aspel.

During our break Jean signed many autographs and then spent 30 minutes answering questions from the floor. She was asked about everything from her days with Stan and Babe to her distinguished career as a writer and broadcaster. Question of the night undoubtedly went to a four-year-old boy in the front row who, after hearing about Jean's love of travelling by sleeper trains during her Vaudeville days, asked her if she collected toy trains. During the final film the AFM Committee (Keith and Gerry) held a quick extraordinary meeting at the bar and decided to present the little lad with a framed photo of the boys as a reward for most unusual question of the night. He was chuffed (or should I say chuff-chuffed)

We also held an auction for the Gary Soderburg sketch I mentioned in another posting. The hammer eventually fell at a marvellous 100 and the Romanian Orphan Appeal will benefit from the proceeds. So thanks to all the bidders for that. The sketch has found a good home.

As we had shown Thicker than Water as our first film everyone had seen the auction scene in which the boys outbid each other for the grandfather clock. The clock is finally sold for $290 dollars. During our auction for the sketch a little boy raised his hand when the total had reached 70. His mother frantically grappled for his arm to bring it down before the auctioneer could spot him. After the auction I went over to the family and we had a good laugh about it. The tent has now "officially" named him Mr two-hundred and ninety.

Funniest part of the night for me was in meeting a ninety-four year old gentleman who came to the show especially to meet Jean. I asked him how he was keeping and he said: "Well, as you can see I am in a wheelchair and I find it difficult to get about. I have a lady who comes along in the morning to get me out of bed and make me breakfast. Around noon another lady makes me lunch. In the evening another lady makes me dinner and at night yet another lady comes in and undresses me and puts me to bed. I'm having the time of my life." At that point my wife walked across the room in front of us. I said to the man, "You see that girl." "Yes" he said. "Well" I said, "That's my wife. Now each morning I get her out of bed...........

Best wishes for all you meetings.

Gerry
El-Matador
Jailbird
Jailbird

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry it was great to hear it was a total sucess Do you know there is a small article about Jean visiting in The Irish News. If you have it you should get it.

Ollie: You Judas you you ........
Stan: Don't you call me a you you
Gerry
Vice Sheik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Cheers Amy — Thanks for that, I got a copy. there is also a nice article on the BBC Northern Ireland News website with great photos of Jean.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6073950.stm

If the link doesnt work try news.bbc.co.uk and type 'Jean Darling' in the search box to take you to the article. Razz
El-Matador
Jailbird
Jailbird

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gerry the link works great and its fantastic. I hope to keep in contact with the tent to see more news and what else is going on.

Ollie: You Judas you you ........
Stan: Don't you call me a you you
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: