FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
My Forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Links
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan~Laurel~Fan
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: My Forum Reply with quote

Sad

Last edited by Stan~Laurel~Fan on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
René Riva

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the necassity of another L&H forum. Why not just stick to this forum? This forum is worldwide and as you can read in the history of this forum: united we stand, divided we fall. Very Happy

René Riva
Moderator of the Dutch Speaking Usergroup
Member of Perfect Day Tent, Oasis 13, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Member of Call of the Cuckoos Tent, Oasis 166, Ayrshire, Scotland
Member of Helpmates Tent, Oasis 25, London, England
Kay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there still is another new forum in Germany, started in June this year...
Perhaps it's better to join there instead of creating a new one?
They have 11 members now for the beginning.

You can ask me for the link or we can discuss it here in the
German Speaking Usergroup if you like.

I think it does not make any sense to create a new one.

But it's your project. Good luck Wink

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
BlackRaven
Admin
Admin

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes more sense that all fans get together and put 110% effort into being in one place. Loads of small forums only weaken each one and have repeated info posted to each one. We have a German speaking area here, plus doesn't Blotto have a German speaking forum too.

If you think you have something new to offer fans that we don't currently offer, then we are open to suggestions anyway.

I wish you all the best in your venture anyway.
Midnight Patrol
Jailbird
Jailbird

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackRaven wrote:
It makes more sense that all fans get together and put 110% effort into being in one place. Loads of small forums only weaken each one and have repeated info posted to each one. .

I agree with this, and believe we should have one central Forum. I even find the foreign-language Forums divisive, as many English-speakers can speak other languages, and maybe some new and important information may be posted on these minority sites, depriving the rest of us. Also, I can't understand why new L & H websites keep cropping up. They all repeat the same old information, often corrupted or misinterpreted or based on dubious sources and discredited books. After all, there are enough "official" websites produced by learned people, checked and signed off, and based on research that can be produced if challenged. Wow, I feel a lot better for that rant, but it's been bugging me for ages. I've studied the Laurel and Hardy world for 50 years, but wouldn't dream of doing a website, as I have checked the few "official" ones and find the odd error here and there, but for the most part they seem accurate. But new information keeps turning up (I've just researched The Boys' visit to Sweden in 1947, and according to the records I'm the first person to ask for the archives EVER).
If we keep starting new Forums and new websites we're all going to be at loggerheads, and instead of enjoying ourselves, united in our appreciation of Laurel and Hardy, we'll become a clique-ridden body each trying to prove the other wrong. There is a hint of this in the movement already. 'Nuff said.
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Black Raven and Midnight Patrol. I think there's room for new Laurel and Hardy sites, if there's something unique about them, but in general, it's just the same stuff over and over again. For example, it's good that there are sites in different languages (French, German, Spanish, Italian, and so on), but there's so much to see about the Boys in English already that there's not much need to start another web site, unless if it's got something new and/or different about it that the other sites don't have.

For example, I think that it would be fun if there were some Laurel and Hardy- themed computer games. There's a website that has downloadable drawings for coloring, and word search puzzles of film titles and co-stars, so I guess that it would be OK for somebody to come up with more such activities. But, yes, it does seem redundant to have yet another L+H website with the yet another Filmography, yet another short synopsis of their lives and film careers, yet another gallery of the same photos, and so on. A site should offer something extra, such as in-depth articles about film preservation, DVD releases, news of screenings + events around the world, etc. I'm glad that so many Sons of the Desert tents have their own websites so that they can regularly post fresh information about upcoming meetings and events like that, but private L+H sites of just the same old stuff does seem a little redundant.
Gerry
Vice Sheik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's another fine mess you seem to have gotten yourself into, Stanley. We all know you mean well but why not stay in the forum here instead of creating another one.

Ok, so the guys here might resemmble Ben Turpin on a good day but their hearts are in the right place. We always welcome and appreciate all contributions — unless they're just plain silly — in which case we all gang up on the contributor, poke him in the stomach and push a custard pie right in his face. And we don't take no for an answer. Anyhow, you know what I mean. Put your brain with us so that together we can forge ahead.

Ollie.

Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Links All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: