FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Bid To Host 2008 Convention in Amsterdam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bram
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Bid To Host 2008 Convention in Amsterdam Reply with quote

The Perfect Day Tent of Amsterdam (Oasis 13!) has officially entered a bid to host the World Convention of the Sons of the Desert in 2008.

The Dutch proposal is published in the forthcoming Intra-Tent Journal.
Or you can read it right away on the website of Perfect Day at http://www.perfectdaytent.nl/index_eng.html
Cick on 'International Convention'.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW TO VOTE?

It would be a pleasure to see a world-convention in Amsterdam !!!

What can we do to realize it? (Isn't it that way that the next convention in Harlem will decide on it? Oh, I'm not there. But Ross is - when I read it right. So... Ross? You have to manage it! Wink )

Hm, perhaps there is a way to vote? We could write some emails... couldn't we?

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vote for Amsterdam 2008! Reply with quote

Bram wrote:
The Perfect Day Tent of Amsterdam (Oasis 13!) has officially entered a bid to host the World Convention of the Sons of the Desert in 2008.

Good luck with the Perfect Day tent's bid. I hope they get it. You can count on my support for sure.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Fra Diavolo Tent, Scotland

Last edited by Ross on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bram
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kay, the bid will be put to a vote this summer in Augusta/Harlem. If I'm not mistaken, if you're there, it's one man, one vote. Emails may help, if you send them to participants of the Convention in Augusta/Harlem.

We do need American votes! On the list of about 180 delegates I count some 20 Sons from Europe, most of them from the UK. I would call that a minority... And what if they just love to go to the USA every two years and tell their sweethearts and wives they went to the Isle of Wight?

Untill now, just two World Conventions were held outside the USA. Both in the UK: London/Ulverston and Birmingham. It's time to have a party on the Continent. What better place than Amsterdam? (Granted, Berlin would be fine too).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bram
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Tactics Reply with quote

I have my doubts about an email campaign... It might be counter-productive when people are flooded by emails.

Anyway, I am not the Perfect Day Tent and I wouldn't want to thwart their tactics (if any Smile).
Kay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics Reply with quote

Hi Bram,

perhaps you're right. I was at the European Convention in Itzehoe last year. The final on sunday was to decide about 2007...
Perhaps it's the right of the persons who are part of a convention to decide. We can't know who would write emails - perhaps only those who will never be part of it. So after thinking about it again, it was a bad idea!

But... it's a kind of trouble if this could mean that every convention now takes place in the US because most of the sons of that convention are coming from America...

I don't know if it's possible to find another way to vote in the future?

Which other tents (of the world) want to invite for the convention 2008 - is it known?

(I don't wanted to say that the other tents will do a bad work! For sure not. It would be a pleasure to be part of it in the US with all of you! Where ever it is: Good luck and have fun! If it could take place in Amsterdam - I will come.)

Regards
Kay

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,

Last edited by Kay on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the high cost of travelling to the USA restricts many European sons from attending the international conventions therefore there might NEVER be enough Europeans present to vote for an International convention in Europe. Are the world conventions always held in the States? I do hope not. As we all know, there are many sons outside the states who would dearly love to attend such a prestige event.

The thing is, if the bid were succesful, would the sons in the states be prepared to travel to Europe and would the event be as successful outside America? Who knows. I for one definately support the European bid.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Bram
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Full Text Amsterdam Proposal Reply with quote

Today the postman delvered the Winter Issue the official newsletter of the Sons of the Desert, The Intra-Tent Journal. On page 10 you will find a shortened version of our proposal to host the International Convention 2008.
This Forum seems a good place to publish the original full text as it was submitted to the editor of the ITJ:

Quote:
The Perfect Day Tent of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, would be honoured and delighted to host the International Convention of the Sons of the Desert in 2008.

Founded in 1971, our Tent was the first outside North America (Oasis Number 13!). We have a long experience in organizing European Conventions in the Netherlands, with participants not just from European countries but from the United States as well. Celebrity guests were John McCabe and Rosina Lawrence, Lois Laurel and Tony Hawes, Jean Darling and Dorothy DeBorba. Among the programme scoops were the now famous reel from Rogue Song, presented by the Czech Film Archive and the first public screening of the extended Pardon Us, presented by Richard Bann.

In the past years word has spread about the unique ambiance at these Conventions and when two board members of Perfect Day participated in the Ohio Convention last year, a repeated question was: ‘Why not stage an International Convention in Holland and why not in 2008?’

Yes, why not? Back home, Sjaak and Anton found immediate support. A delegation of the Tent has booked for Augusta/Harlem and the presentation they will make for Amsterdam 2008 is in the works.

The venue will very probably be the same as chosen for the 6th European Convention, Hotel Avifauna in Alphen-aan-den-Rijn, a town some 30 miles from the Duch capital of Amsterdam and near the international airport Schiphol. The hotel is situated in an exotic bird park on the banks of the old river Rhine and has all the facilities we need. A screening of Laurel & Hardy films in the monumental Tuschinski Theatre in Amsterdam is almost obligatory and for pre-conventional activities a tour along old Zuydersea towns is in the offing.
More about all this later! In the meantime, readers may contact the Perfect Day Tent at info@perfectdaytent.nl or at this address:

Perfect Day Tent
P.O.Box 99,
NL- 2180 AB Hillegom
Netherlands

was signed: Bram Reijnhoudt
Neil
Admin
Admin

England.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

say hello to Anton for me Bram
we met at the Laurel and Harday when we had dinner with Jean Darling
(Name dropper Wink )

Neil Evans, Grand Sheik,
Bacongrabbers Tent, Wigan and St Helens
Bram
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Website Amsterdam 2008 Reply with quote

The Dutch Perfect Day website now offers more detailed information about the proposed International Convention in Amsterdam in 2008. The hotel, the theater, the tours… all are illustrated with slideshows and a blurb to wet your appetite. Links to relevant websites have been added. You can even order T-shirts with the Vote For Amsterdam 2008 logo.

http://www.perfectdaytent.nl/index_eng.html
Lucy
Chimp
Chimp

England.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if Amsterdam get the votes. Does anyone know where and when the next convention is? Question
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucylh1890 wrote:
Does anyone know where and when the next convention is? Question

Sure Lucy,

UK convention is in Edinburgh in April http://www.laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1123

World convention is in Georgia, USA in August http://www.berthmarks.com/

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,

Last edited by Ross on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sairthroat
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly attend an event in Amsterdam in 2008
Dean
Global Mod
Global Mod

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Netherlands To Host 2008 International Convention Reply with quote

THE PERFECT DAY TENT WON THEIR BID!

Netherlands To Host 2008 International Convention

The Perfect Day Tent of Amsterdam will host the International Convention of the Sons of the Desert in 2008. Blotto Online reports, "The presentation by the Dutch delegation at the Convention in Augusta was a big success. Delegates had to make a choice between Amsterdam, Sacramento and Detroit. There was a clear majority for the proposed convention in the Netherlands. Amsterdam 2008 will be held from 9th till 13th July, 2008."

The host Perfect Day Tent has a long history of successful European Conventions and based its convention in 2003 at Avi Fauna, near Amsterdam, and will probably return to Avi Fauna for the 2008 International Convention. This will be the first time that the International Convention will be held in mainland Europe.

Convention Website: http://www.tellmethatagain.info/

Kay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great!

See you in Amsterdam Wink Razz

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: