FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
The Blotto Furniture
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: The Blotto Furniture Reply with quote

source: http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_greenbriarpictureshows_archive.html

The Blotto Furniture

It might help in reading this if you're a hardcore Laurel and Hardy fan, because when you've reached the point where you're discussing the furniture in their comedies, you are indeed hardcore, maybe borderline needing help. Well, I'm that way about the Blotto table. You know (at least those of you who share my obsession know) there's that long sequence at the Rainbow Club. It's a deco speakeasy palace, and Laurel and Hardy get drunk, or they think they're getting drunk, only Stan's wife has replaced the contents of his smuggled-in bottle with brackish cold tea. Comedy mayhem ensues. So there is the story, and now we come to the table, and it is a wow --- a creampuff --- a lulu. I've wanted something like it ever since I saw the short for the first time at the age of 14. The following picture is from Blotto, and that's the table. Note the star, the little indentations that run around the circumference. You won't find this item at the local Transit-Damaged Freight Warehouse. (read on)

Now those of you who haven't said who cares and signed off by now are probably asking, "That's all well and good, but did this unique specimen of woodwork ever make its way into any other movies?". Well, as a matter of fact it did, at least the next photo convinces me that it did. Do you suppose Lew Ayres called Hal Roach and said, "Hal ...Lew... Buddy, I just caught that new rib-tickling Laurel and Hardy laff-riot of yours, and I've just got to use that bitchin' nightclub table in my next picture!". And indeed, there it is, sharing a scene with Lew Ayres in Okay, America, presumably the table's first appearance in a dramatic vehicle. (read on)

Isn't it great when some obscure nugget of film history reveals itself? But that isn't all, because like Lew, I was so caught up with that bitchin' table that I decided to see if maybe it could be recreated --- and that's the photo below. (read on)

As you can see, the guy who built it is a genius, and boy, are those chairs uncomfortable. Authentic, yes, right down to the last detail, but hell to sit in. Laurel and Hardy must have wanted that prohibition hooch mighty bad to sit in those chairs. Check out the ice bucket. Henry Trivette made that too. Henry is the genius I mentioned earlier. He could make your living room look like a set from Our Dancing Daughters if you asked him to. I was even able to pass off the Blotto table as the real thing to some visiting Laurel and Hardy fans --- told 'em I bought it at the Hal Roach auction back in 1963. When I fessed up later, they were still amazed. We have some fabulous furniture makers in the South.

John McElwee

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Fra Diavolo Tent, Scotland

Last edited by Ross on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrewS
Jailbird
Jailbird

England.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now theres a fan Laughing
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewS wrote:
Now theres a fan Laughing

what d'ya mean? I just ordered one Shocked Very Happy

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Neil
Admin
Admin

England.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all scaring me now Shocked Wink

Yes its a Niiiiiice table , now come and try on this nice jacket with the long sleeves that does up at the back ! Wink Laughing

Neil Evans, Grand Sheik,
Bacongrabbers Tent, Wigan and St Helens
Waiter (uncredited)
Jailbird
Jailbird

Wales.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the star tables too.
Mike Quinn
Slowburner
Slowburner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2 torchiers (floor lamps to those who don't know) in Ollie's living room in Sons of the Desert, well I have a pair that are virtually identicle. They are silver and black with concentric circles at the shades, all original too. The scary thing is, I bought them 'cos I liked Art Deco so much and the next time I saw "Sons", I about fell off my chair!!! There they were behind the boys. I would love to have my living room completey done in that style, maybe with extra "machine age" and "skyscraper" thrown in for good measure.... Wink

See.. we're all normal here really..... right?..... right?..... hellooo.... anybody there?...... Shocked
Neil
Admin
Admin

England.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh Talking to yourself Mike not a good sign ! Wink

Neil Evans, Grand Sheik,
Bacongrabbers Tent, Wigan and St Helens
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kidding when I said I've ordered one of those tables, but actually a replica table like that would be a wonderful display item for a Laurel and Hardy Museum Wink, as would replica soda cyphons etc.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
NormaJean
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

bahamas.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O Grand Sheik Ross, all the Art Deco in Stan and Ollie's films are just the icing on the cake for me. New to this forum, your post above has just signalled to me that I have found the Nirvana I have been seeking.

In the Music Box, where Ollie is starting up the stairs in the house, you see at the top a lovely statue of some kind of hunting hound, Borzoi comes to mind, with a style that reminds me of Erte.

Many, many thanks for the wonderful photos of the details on the table and the chairs, too. Very Happy

Now I am wondering if you also have a copy of the mustard plaster that Stan tore off the waiter, Baldwin Cooke....

Teasing you a bit...
René Riva

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderfully made replicas!!! But actually I can't call these items replicas. This is ART! Beatifully done!!!!

René Riva
Moderator of the Dutch Speaking Usergroup
Member of Perfect Day Tent, Oasis 13, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Member of Call of the Cuckoos Tent, Oasis 166, Ayrshire, Scotland
Member of Helpmates Tent, Oasis 25, London, England
Midnight Patrol
Jailbird
Jailbird

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blotto Furniture Reply with quote

Ross wrote:

source: http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_greenbriarpictureshows_archive.html

The Blotto Furniture

John McElwee

Is this the weather-man on the TV?
Bruckman64
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormaJean wrote:

Now I am wondering if you also have a copy of the mustard plaster that Stan tore off the waiter, Baldwin Cooke....

Ugh!! Sad

Seriously, I've always wanted my place to be decorated in the extreme art-deco of Ollie's place in BE BIG, with the oddly-shaped trapezoidal tables and elaborate draperies and the Art Deco - Pompeiian bathroom with sunken tub. Could do without the murphy bed though. Also without the marimba-like doorbell or slide-whistle telephone.

Yes, those BLOTTO chairs look uncomfortable, but that's the point - a speakeasy manager didn't want patrons lingering; he wanted them to get in and out with as much profit as possible. Of course Stan and Ollie, being the high rollers they are, don't order anything but what were termed "setups" (ice and soda water) in that day and age. I'm sure the waiter is wondering what kind of tip he's going to get out of these two....no wonder he loses patience.

By the way, the sink in my kitchen is an honest-to-goodness circa 1920s enamel one identical, right down to the taps and spigot, of the one in Stan's BLOTTO kitchen. The linoleum, too, has an art-deco look, though it's exceedingly worn and cracked in places (it's probably a good 40 years old). I also have a hand-operated doorbell: one twists a brass tab to ring. I always figured if Stan and Ollie came calling, Stan would mistake Babe's nose for the bell when he wasn't looking and twist it....
NormaJean
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

bahamas.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Bruckman64, you are totally compatico about the beautiful set of BE BIG. Those gorgeous lighted wall sconces, or whatever they are truly called, catch my eyes every time.

I even like the chimes doorbell. But I ama dear little old-fashioned girl...sort of

Embarassed
Bruckman64
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormaJean wrote:
Ah, Bruckman64, you are totally compatico about the beautiful set of BE BIG. Those gorgeous lighted wall sconces, or whatever they are truly called, catch my eyes every time.

I even like the chimes doorbell. But I ama dear little old-fashioned girl...sort of

It's mellifluous, one has to admit that. Preferable to an auto horn.
Oxford Chump
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing the table in this thread reminded me of one my favorite clips, watching this without laughing, is like trying to eat a sugery doughnut without licking your lips. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXVwobiYRlU
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: