Tribute to Oliver Hardy
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

The Laurel & Hardy Forum -> The Periwinkle Gazette

#1: Tribute to Oliver Hardy Author: KayLocation: Saarbrücken, Germany PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:14 pm
    —
Tribute to Oliver Hardy

On 7th August this year it’s 50 years since Oliver Hardy died !

This is what the German One Good Turn Tent will do on this day:

Quote:
Laurel & Hardy described it as one of the greatest thrills of their lives when they came to Cobh in 1953 and the carillon of the St. Coleman’s Cathedral played the “Cuckoo Song”. On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Oliver Hardy’s death we’ll repeat this gesture in our town to honour this great gentleman. So, on 7th August, if you are walking through the city of Saarbrücken/Germany and you hear the carillon play “The Cuckoo Song” remember how much fun Oliver Hardy brought to the people around the globe, as part of the greatest comedy duo of all time.

And we made a Tent's own stamp remembering Ollie earlier this year.

What else is planned around the globe? Articles in papers, Tent meetings, … let us know!

Last edited by Kay on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

#2:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:15 pm
    —
wonderful news Kay. What a fitting tribute.

#3:  Author: LucyLocation: Lancashire, UK PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:00 pm
    —
That's nice- what a fitting tribute Smile It's also 50 years since my dad was born 7th August 1957

#4:  Author: NeilLocation: St Helens UK PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 pm
    —
Thats nice , and Lucy has just made me feel very old , cos I was 50 in April , Oh poo (wonder if they do a Model T Zimmer frame ?)Very Happy

#5:  Author: Idle AlLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:02 pm
    —
Lucy wrote:
That's nice- what a fitting tribute Smile It's also 50 years since my dad was born 7th August 1957

My mum (as has been documented on here before) shares a birthday with Babe, but in 19** not 1892. That squares a little circle n'est pa?

#6:  Author: Mr. HallLocation: Attleboro, Mass. PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:37 am
    —
Lucy wrote:

l smell a reincarnation.... maybe l should put it in the fridge... Very Happy

Neil wrote:
... Lucy has just made me feel very old , cos I was 50 in April , Oh poo

the older l get the younger l feel... but l guess l'm still a kid(ding meself)....

#7:  Author: Stan~Laurel~FanLocation: NRW PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:06 pm
    —

(click to play) Very Happy

#8: Re: Tribute to Oliver Hardy Author: KayLocation: Saarbrücken, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:23 pm
    —
Kay wrote:
What else is planned around the globe? Articles in papers, Tent meetings, … let us know!

I assume there are more activities planned...?

#9:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 pm
    —
I think we should tie some sort of celebration into our Lanark event on August 5th

#10:  Author: KayLocation: Saarbrücken, Germany PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:57 pm
    —
Ross wrote:
I think we should tie some sort of celebration into our Lanark event on August 5th

Fantastic, Ross.

Update from OGT: The local radio station will report about our tribute. Very Happy

#11:  Author: KayLocation: Saarbrücken, Germany PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:41 pm
    —
2. Update: It's a big success here. The radio station made a great story out of it today which will be aired on 7th August.

And... ups... we'll hear the "cuckoo song" from the tower of our town-hall - now daily for this summer Laughing

#12:  Author: Mr. HallLocation: Attleboro, Mass. PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:09 pm
    —
Nice Very Happy

#13:  Author: René RivaLocation: Amsterdam, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:14 am
    —
Tomorrow it will be 50 years after Babe died. 5 decades in which the world changed drastically.

The TV and movie industry should do more to honour Babe on the 7th of August.

#14:  Author: john-BogieLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:35 pm
    —
What a great tribute Kay, The more I watch Laurel and Hardy, the more I see what a great comic actor Ollie Was & is, If you study him, his expressions and mannerisms are just fantastic ! And now I know that I am a lot older than Lucy's father just what I needed to hear Wink

#15:  Author: stevent_jeLocation: Duffel PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:43 pm
    —
i would say like Stanley always Said to his friends
'God bless'

#16:  Author: john-BogieLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:13 pm
    —
R. I. P. Ollie, and thanks for all the laughs you're still giving us today. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

#17:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:26 pm
    —
RIP Babe

#18:  Author: Find Hats OffLocation: Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:01 am
    —
stevent_je wrote:
i would say like Stanley always Said to his friends
'God bless'

That's right. God bless Babe Hardy. He certainly has enriched the lives of millions with laughter, and that's something that didn't stop in 1957. The rich laughter continues.

I've avoided this subject, the Boys' passing being a sad thing to think about, but I liked the way that Ross mentioned the word 'celebration'. We should continue to celebrate the lives and work of Laurel and Hardy, as well as others who have brought us happiness (like Buster Keaton).

One of my favorite things that Ollie would do was when he would repeat something dumb that Stan would say. My grandfather used to do that, too. Like in The Music Box when Ollie puts on Stan's too-small hat and walks into the house, saying, "Heard 'em comin' up the steps!" It makes me laugh every time.

#19:  Author: JDVLocation: Belgium PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:29 am
    —
RIP Babe Hardy.

Thanks for all those great moments you have provided us with. You'll never be forgotten.

#20:  Author: LiverpoolsFinest2001™Location: London PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
    —
Sleep Safely knowing the world is still laughing at the delights you left with us. Laughing

#21:  Author: LucyLocation: Lancashire, UK PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:30 am
    —
My dad was born on the same day we lost Mr Hardy- Happy Birthday Dad, Rest in Peace Babe Smile

#22:  Author: René RivaLocation: Amsterdam, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:47 am
    —
50 years have gone by after your passing Babe. And look: in 2007 there's still a legion of fans that love you!!!

We will never forget you!!!

Leave flowers for Babe here:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=446

#23:  Author: brimal PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:34 pm
    —
Smile Smile Smile

RIP Babe.
The laughter you brought us will always be the way we remeber you.

#24:  Author: Sap At SeaLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 pm
    —
Oliver Hardy was a great, GREAT man! Here's to you, Babe!

Bernie

#25:  Author: mrockerLocation: CT - USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:15 pm
    —
Here's to Babe, in memory of his legacy and all the laughter and happiness he still brings to us.

#26: Tribute to Babe Author: Horse's Radish PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:53 pm
    —

I think that Babe would have been honored by the fact that the films have been remembered for so many years...a testament to their everlasting longetivity.

#27:  Author: Kay1 PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:15 pm
    —
RIP Babe, God bless you for all the timeless laughs you have provided for millions of people all over the world for so many years!

God Bless You, You Are A True Legend!

Johnny

#28:  Author: El-MatadorLocation: Co.Tyrone Northern Ireland PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:13 pm
    —
RIP BABE you and Stan have given us great laughs over the years and are timeless.

Oliver Hardy we miss you, you were a comedy genius who touched lives of friends Family and L&H fans all over the world. You always thought of others and showed kindness and generosity to others. you were larger than life and your voice is unforgettable and the tenor voice is so sweet. Your memories and films will last a life time.
FOR THAT OLIVER NORVELL'BABE' HARDY WE ALL THANK YOU AND WE MISS YOU AND AS STAN WOULD HAVE SAID GOD BLESS YOU.

#29:  Author: Stan~Laurel~FanLocation: NRW PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 pm
    —
RIP Ollie

#30:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:18 am
    —
posted on Enquirer.com

50 years ago today, 1957:

Oliver Hardy, the rotund half of the movie comedy team of Laurel and Hardy, died today in North Hollywood. Death came at the home of Mrs. Monnie Jones, his mother-in-law. He had suffered a paralytic stroke last Sept. 12 and had been incapacitated since.

#31:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:21 am
    —
Article in the HINDUSTAN TIMES

Hoshang K Katrak of the Hindustan Times writes

Remembering a comic icon

Anniversaries sometimes provide a reason for the rediscovery of childhood heroes. My childhood exposure to the western celluloid was restricted to, in no particular order, Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin and Tarzan films, to which dad would take me for Sunday morning shows at the Metro and (the now defunct) Majestic cinemas. Of these, my ‘heroes' - and I choose the word carefully and unabashedly - have always been Laurel and Hardy. They were a distinct breed. The packed cinema houses would erupt in side-splitting laughter just by the blokes showing up on screen. They defined, or rather redefined, the art of comedy.

Born Norvell Hardy, in 1892, his showbiz career commenced, when in 1910, his mother set him up as manager of the Electric Theatre, the first motion picture cinema in Milledgeville. When he learned of acting opportunities in Florida, he moved there in 1913 to join the Lubin Film Co - his first release being Outwitting Dad (1914). Later, in 1917, he moved to California to work. In 1925, he started working for the legendary Hal Roach who recognised the potential of his chemistry with Stan Laurel. In 1921, they had been accidentally paired in The Lucky Dog only to go their separate ways. Fate brought Hardy with Laurel again in 1926. Though the pair showed brief glimpses of a fairly successful pairing in their third film Duck Soup (1927).

It was their eleventh film, The Second Hundred Years (October, 1927), where they were billed as a ‘comedy duo' and which is considered their first true Laurel and Hardy film. Not without Hardy Without Stan, Hardy appeared in about 270 films, mostly shorts. While Stan didn't act without Hardy after their official teaming, Hardy did three films without his partner. In Laurel and Hardy, we are really looking at ourselves. There is a child in all of us - the first well-developed comedy team to appear on screen built upon this maxim and propounded it with telling effect in the 106 films they did together. Laurel and Hardy were the first comedy team to successfully make the transition from the silents to the sound films - their visual gags blending effectively with their verbal humour. Stan and Ollie's on-screen friendship and success endures in the face of the exploitative world and its constant pressures. In their partnership, Stan is always subservient, bullied and taken for granted.

Ollie is condescending, the one with ‘loads of experience'.

Fun all the way Though films like Sons of the Desert and Way Out West are considered some of the best comedies ever, their last few films -they were plagued by ill-health and deprived of artistic freedom by their new bosses, Twentieth Century-Fox were anything, but enjoyable. Their last film Atoll K (1951) was, due to a host of reasons, a disaster.

Though Hardy never won an Oscar (Stan, in 1961, was presented with an Honorary Oscar), it was their Oscar-winning short The Music Box (1932) which inspired the Academy to initiate a new category Best Live Action Comedy Short Subject. A massive cerebral stroke in September 1956, rendered Hardy paralytic. He succumbed to his illness in August 1957. Stan Laurel survived him till February 23, 1965. That fluttering of the fingers and the twiddling of his tie with an apologetic look, that long and hurt stare at the camera, especially when his grandiose plans are shattered, and he has been let down, by his dimwit partner Stan, will forever linger in the viewer's memory.

#32:  Author: Mr. HallLocation: Attleboro, Mass. PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:58 am
    —
Long live Babe Smile Smile Smile

#33: Tribute to Oliver Hardy Author: Oxford ChumpLocation: PORT GLASGOW PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:40 pm
    —
gone but fondly remembered r.i.p. Smile oxford chump

#34:  Author: sugardaddieLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:49 pm
    —
R.I.P. BABE
ITS MAKES ME WANT BOIST OUT N CRY!!!

#35:  Author: René RivaLocation: Amsterdam, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:15 pm
    —
Great article, thanks for posting, Ross!!!

#36:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:48 pm
    —
How did your trubute to Ollie event go Kay?

#37:  Author: KayLocation: Saarbrücken, Germany PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:09 pm
    —
Ross wrote:
How did your trubute to Ollie event go Kay?

Ross, it is still going Laughing
On 7th August we had a lot of attention on the radio with interviews and the cuckoo song (of course).
But the bells are still playing the song - every day - for the rest of the summer…

#38:  Author: RossLocation: Bonnie Scotland PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:44 pm
    —
That's brilliant. If you come across any footage please post it for us.

#39:  Author: CherlynLocation: Tulsa, OK PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:09 pm
    —
I am not ashamed to admit I cried reading this whole post . . .

As my hubby and I celebrate our 8th Wedding anniversary, we'll have a toast for Mr Hardy as well . . .

Saludar

#40:  Author: stevent_jeLocation: Duffel PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:36 pm
    —
Cherlyn wrote:
As my hubby and I celebrate our 8th Wedding anniversary, we'll have a toast for Mr Hardy as well . . .

Saludar

Congratilations with yours 8th wedding anniversary

#41:  Author: Mr. HallLocation: Attleboro, Mass. PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:02 pm
    —
Cherlyn wrote:

Congratulations Smile l take it you won't be celebrating with The Flying Deuces?

#42:  Author: CherlynLocation: Tulsa, OK PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:42 am
    —
Mr. Hall wrote:
Cherlyn wrote:

Congratulations Smile l take it you won't be celebrating with The Flying Deuces?

I prefer Brats myself . . . Very Happy

#43:  Author: NormaJeanLocation: Bahamas PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:01 pm
    —
Ross, your astonishing post:

Article in the HINDUSTAN TIMES

Hoshang K Katrak of the Hindustan Times writes

Remembering a comic icon

Amazing proof that Babe and Stan were truly heroes of the world.
Their humanity, as well as comedy, found no borders uncrossable,
this weary old globe of struggling countries found sanctuary in their
great humor.

Their rewards included the love of millions, and
extend into a future that still needs them very much.

The Laurel & Hardy Forum -> The Periwinkle Gazette

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1