FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Last Chance To Ask Blockheads star Karl Slover a question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Last Chance To Ask Blockheads star Karl Slover a question Reply with quote

ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS! - KARL SLOVER- WINTER 2005

I am delighted to announce that our special guest for the forum 'Ask Someone Who Knows' feature will be Karl Slover, the midget from the elevator scene in Blockheads and munchkin from the Wizard of Oz.

Submit your questions here (as many as you like) and I will forward the best 20 questions to Karl.

Closing date for questions or wellwishes to Karl - November 30th.

The questions will be submitted to Karl on 1st December.

If anyone would like to purchase an original handsigned 'Blockheads' pic like the one below, please contact ROSS via email or via the forum pm system.

A native of Hungary, he began his career appearing in films with Laurel & Hardy (He was the cigar chomping little boy coming out of the elevator in blockheads), the Ritz Brothers, and Eddie Cantor and appeared with Jimmy Durante in Billy Rose's hit Musical "Jumbo." In addition to being one the Sleepy Heads, Karl was also a Muchkin Trumpeter in Judy Garland version of the Wizard Of Oz. He held the distinction of being one of the tiniest of the male little people on the Oz set.

Karl was barely a teenager in the Czech Republic when he was spotted by Leo Singer who wanted to sign him up to be a part of his traveling troupe called "Singer's Midgets." At that time, Karl was the worlds shortest man at about 3 1/2 feet tall.

A few years later, in 1939, he and the other 118 midgets (most of the midgets who inhabited the planet at that time) were summoned to Culver City near Hollywood to inhabit Muchkinland for the all-time great screen spectacular "Wizard of Oz,"

He was paid $100 per week for his services as a munchkin but the greedy Singer kept $50 of it. After he finished his trek along the yellow brick road, Karl did comedies and movies with Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy among others.

In the late 40's, he joined a traveling carnival. At one time, the Ringling Circus family tried to hire him away from Singer but now he was on his own. Eventually, he ended up working for Southern Amusement Enterprises, where owner Bob Slover adopted him and put him to work in his shows.

Karl, now 86, spends most of his time on airplanes...making his way to personal appearances on television talk shows and at Wizard of Oz conventions. He always has a big smile and lots of Wizard stories to tell if you've got time to listen.

Until recently, he lived with relatives in the Hyde Park area of Tampa and would often be seen walking along the Howard Avenue business district as part of a doctor-ordered exercise program. Right now Karl is in motion from moving from Florida to Georgia.

He has been featured in many national magazines, including People, Life and Newsweek, and on numerous television shows and documentaries.

click here for more of Karl.

Last edited by Ross on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 am; edited 22 times in total
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl and thank you for joining us here on the Laurel and Hardy Forum. We are very grateful for you taking the time out to join us for this questions and answers session.

My own question to you is...

Who did your voice over in Blockheads? Many books and reports suggest that it was Billy Bletcher who says "out please!" and "thank you!", but it sounds like Chill Wills to me. The final part of my question is, what do you make of the many reports that it was Harry Earles who played your little cigar smoking character in the elevator scene in Blockheads? Do you know how the confusion came about?

Last edited by Ross on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
silas barnaby
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Karl, do you have any recollections of L&H and Roach studio and who, in your career, who was the most difficult star to work with?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dean
Global Mod

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Karl, thanks for honouring us with your time, I'd just like to ask you what have been the highlights of your long and distinguished career? What films/tv work were the most rewarding and which actors and actresses did you enjoy working with the most? Also did you meet people like Hal Roach, James Finlayson, Billy Gilbert, Edgar Kennedy and Walter Long if so what was your opinion of the men?
DrewS

England.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl.

What was the atmosphere like on the Wizard of Oz set? I can imagine it being a great, colourful experience. Did ou ever feel silly doing the dance routines?
brownderby
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the opportunity.

Do you recall socializing with the Boys and / or the cast from the Wizard of Oz? If so, what was it like? What did you do and where did you go? Would you like to comment on some other highlights of your career?

Thanks again!
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Mitchell wrote:
Hi Karl and thank you for this opportunity. I would like to know...

1. Where and when were you born, and to whom?

2. What other appearances, variously in film, TV, stage, etc do you most fondly remember?

3. How did you get into the business?

4. Which other famous comedians have you worked with in your career and who was your favourite to work with?

5. What are you up to today?

Irish Son
Beer Baron

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. My question is this

Does it surprise you that 65 years after Blockheads was made, people still gather all over the world and enjoy films such as this?
Nico
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions from us fans.

1) I have been wondering how your film career started. Did you come to Hollywood in reply to MGM's quest for little people to star in The Wizard of Oz (shooting of which began in October 1938), or was there another opportunity which led you there?

2) Was it while waiting for the Oz offer to come through that you took the opportunity to star in a number of earlier features (including Block-Heads)?

3) Do you remember how you got that bit part in Block-Heads? Did you do an audition?
Kay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

I'm sorry, I have no question, because I know to less about you. It's a pleasure to get some informations soon.

I just want to say, that it is a really funny scene in Block-Heads with you. I think everybody will ever remember it. Let me just wish you health this way and let me send you some greetings from Germany.

Kay

I hope this " question" is one of the top 20... Wink
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alright Kay I will pass on your comments to Karl along with the questions. If anyone else has a good luck wish for Karl rather than a question, I will be happy to pass your comments on.

Simply leave your comments/questions in this thread.
mrocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to meet the Munchkin Coroner Meinhardt Raabe about 10 years ago and he answered a lot of questions and also signed several photos for me to bring back for some of my students.
So I would just like to wish Karl much happiness and good health and let him know we appreciate his taking the time to answer the questions asked by the Forum members.

Mike
Dean
Global Mod

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question I'd like to ask is: If you had to start your career over again is there anything you'd have done differently? Is there anything you feel you'd have really liked to have done but never got the opportunity?
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

questions or comments for Karl must be submitted by Sunday November 20th,

cheers

Ross
Lux Son
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szia Karl!

Hogy vagy?

It's nice to have the opportunity to speak to you. I'm especially interested because I'm half Hungarian on my father's side. I actually mixed you up with Mihaly Meszaros, another Hungarian performing artist in the US and once (maybe still) in the Guinness book of records as the smallest man in the world.

Here are some questions I have for you?

Did you ever meet Mihaly? Any stories you wish to share there?

Do you speak Hungarian? and do you ever visit Hungary?

There is a website dedicated to famous Hungarians around the world. With your permission I'd like to submit your name to that!

Here a link to that site
http://www.webenetics.com/hungary/famous.htm

Thanks for your time, and best wishes to you!

Viszontlátásra!

Joe
The Music Box Tent - #231 - Luxembourg
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: