FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Info about Mae Dahlberg - Can you help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Info about Mae Dahlberg - Can you help? Reply with quote

The following story was reported last December by starnewsgroup.com.au

Anyone with any useful information can either post it here, contact one of the forum admins privately or contact Christine O’Mahoney directly on the telephone number at the bottom of the article.

MAE DAHLBERG

THE daughter of Stan Laurel, of Laurel and Hardy fame, is looking for information about one of her father’s earliest Vaudevillian partners, an Australian woman believed to have lived in Footscray.

Lois Laurel-Hawes, who lives in North Ridge, California, is trying to track down relatives of Mae Dahlberg with the assistance of members of her father’s fan club based in Australia.

Mrs Laurel-Hawes is piecing together a history of her father’s comedy career and said that information about Mae Dahlberg was scarce.

Mr Laurel was best known for his partnership with Oliver Hardy in the black-and-white slapstick films that became popular in the late 1920s.

Ms Dahlberg, also known as May Dahlberg and Mae Dahlberg-Cuthbert – among other showbiz names – performed as part of a dance duo called the Hayden Sisters in the United States in 1916.

Stan Jefferson, who had not yet changed his surname to Laurel, was also doing the Vaudeville circuit as part of the Stan Jefferson Trio.

It is reported that the couple met and “hit it off right away”.

Ms Dahlberg and Mr Laurel then began performing together – one of their earliest slapstick routines was of Mr Laurel dressed up as a mother being pushed around by Ms Dahlberg.

Ms Dahlberg is credited as having hit upon the alternative surname of ‘Laurel’, as the name Stan Jefferson contained 13 letters and was considered too long for marquee billing.

They had a close relationship and Ms Dahlberg considered herself Mr Laurel’s common-law wife, although she had a husband in Australia.

The relationship took a knock after 1917 when Mr Laurel attempted to break into silent films.

Mrs Laurel-Hawes said Ms Dahlberg demanded to be in the films but the producers “didn’t want her”.

“She sued my father in latter years as his common-law wife,” she said.

“She had a husband in Australia so she couldn’t possibly have been a common-law wife.

“But that was show business back then in Vaudeville. My father gave her a sum of money.”

Mrs Laurel-Hawes said Ms Dahlberg returned to Australia in 1925 “but that’s where the puzzle ends”.

A member of the Laurel and Hardy fan club known as the Sons of the Desert (a name adopted from one of the Laurel and Hardy movies) interviewed a former Footscray man, Tom Vickers, in the 1980s.

Mr Vickers was the great-nephew of Ms Dahlberg and remembered her visiting his grandmother Elizabeth Gundry at 31 Nicholson St, Footscray, in 1946 before returning to the US.

Ms Dahlberg, his father’s aunt, was either related to Mrs Gundry or Mr Vickers’ grandfather William Vickers.

Mr Vickers said in his interview: “She seemed to run hot and cold in her memories of Stan Laurel.

“She told me he was a clever man, just the opposite of the simpleton he portrays.

“She was a very outspoken woman, very dominant and, according to my father, very well versed in politics.”

Mrs Laurel-Hawes said it was believed that Ms Dahlberg had a son with her Australian husband.

Ms Dahlberg died in 1970 in a nursing home in New York.

Laurel and Oliver Hardy made their first official film together in 1926 and worked together until 1945 they also performed on stage from 1947 to 1954.

When Hardy died in 1957 Laurel refused to work on another film again, such was the closeness of the comedy duo.

Laurel was presented with an honourary Academy Award in 1960.

Anyone one with information about Ms Dahlberg is asked to contact Christine O’Mahoney on 9386 8675

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Fra Diavolo Tent, Scotland

Last edited by Ross on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDV

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Lois Laurel will already know this, but it's just for the other forum members I wanted to post this link:

http://www.blotto.nl/index.php/weblog/comments/mae_laurel_in_amsterdam/

Below is the English link but it doesn't seem to be working:

http://www.blotto.nl/index.php/international/comments/mae_laurel_in_amsterdam
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of the links work Jarry Sad

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
JDV

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper one works fine over here. Confused

Is anyone else having problems opening that one?

How about this one:

http://www.blotto.nl/index.php/international/2006/12/
Kay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDV wrote:
The upper one works fine over here. Confused

Is anyone else having problems opening that one?

Yep, the first link is ok, as is the last one, but not the second Wink

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
Dean
Global Mod
Global Mod

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of them work for me either Sad do you have to be registered to see them?
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it this you want us to see Jarry?

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
JDV

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ross, that was part of what's on blotto.nl, it's the image that illustrates the text. But it covers most of the things that are in the text anyway.

It's strange that some people can open that first link and some people can't. I'm registered at blotto.nl, but normally you can also read the messages on blotto.nl even if you aren't a registered member. Confused
René Riva

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when you go directly to it through a link you must be logged in. Not sure though. Ask Bram or Nico. Laughing

René Riva
Moderator of the Dutch Speaking Usergroup
Member of Perfect Day Tent, Oasis 13, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Member of Call of the Cuckoos Tent, Oasis 166, Ayrshire, Scotland
Member of Helpmates Tent, Oasis 25, London, England
Brian
Beer Baron
Beer Baron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article was originally published early December 2006 (in this very forum in fact....by me!) and Chris, who was Grand Sheik of the Melbourne Night Owls at the time, received a great response--she found Tom Vickers and another relative of Mae's and all this information and photos were passed on to Lois around the middle of last year.

Chris did a sterling job in finding these people with the help of Peter and Judy Rickets (Peter is our current Grand Sheik) and I know they greatly appreciated the worldwide support they received at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: