FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Please Have Mercy on Dial-Up Connections!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Support & Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Find Hats Off
Tie Twiddler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Please Have Mercy on Dial-Up Connections! Reply with quote

The Laurel and Hardy Forum has really grown beautifully, and it's probably the greatest site on the internet. There's one problem lately- There's too much stuff on the Front Page! I've got dial-up, and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes for my poor Compaq computer (it's a pretty good 2002 model) to download all this stuff we've got on that front page. Until almost everything on the front page has downloaded, I can't get onto any topic. I'll click on one of the Recent Posts, and I've still got to wait another 4 or 5 minutes or so, until about 90% or so of the stuff on the front page has downloaded, and then it'll actually bring up that topic. Once everything has downloaded on the front page, then I can click on any topic, and it'll come up quickly- it's just getting to that point that takes time.

I'm sure that the site works well for those who have the expensive Broadband/High-Speed internet connections, but those of us who have the old-fashioned dial-up connections have to wait and wait and wait. I literally have to go do something else for about 5 minutes or so before I can even hope to see a post on the L+H Forum. I have to play a game of Freecell or go do something in the kitchen or whatever while waiting to be able to see something on the Forum.

There must be a better way. We've got "Random Image" on the front page, we've got not one, but TWO "Random Videos" on the front page, there's the puzzle on the front page, there's the Shoutbox on the front page, an article with photos on the front page, etc. etc. You might as well put Stan's solo film, On the Front Page, in its entirety, on the front page!

Can't some of this stuff be put onto the Downloads section, and not all be crammed onto the front page? I can't really afford a high-speed connection, which is why I'm still on the old antique dial-up way of connecting with the internet. I would really appreciate it if some of all this extra stuff that's cramming up the front page could be put somewhere else on the site, so that someone with Dial-up can have easier access to this site. I'm sure that I'm not the only one having this delay. So, what do you all think about this?
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the frontpage content affects dial up as the video footage doesnt actually load up until its clicked. Photo of the month just shows a small copy of the image and the rest of the content is just text so that shouldn't take up too much resources either, however I will look into this matter for you and see if I can do anything to help.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Fra Diavolo Tent, Scotland
Stan
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

England.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily the videos that will slow down the system anyway. Lots of images will do it, just the same.

The amount of information coming down a non-digital line will always come much more slowly than through a Broadband connection.

You have my sympathies, My Friend! One thing to consider : In the UK, it is now almost the same price to get onto the lowest rung of the Broadband ladder as it is to have dial-up. Would that also be the case in the USA?

Stan
Evil or Very Mad
JDV

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Have Mercy on Dial-Up Connections! Reply with quote

Find Hats Off wrote:
You might as well put Stan's solo film, On the Front Page, in its entirety, on the front page!

Great. I haven't seen that one yet. Laughing

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I do hope your problem will get solved Find Hats Off.)
Kay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The random image on the front page is not a small copy, it's scaled down. Can this be the problem?

Find Hats Off, perhaps it helps if you start with the 'Forum Index'?
http://laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/index.php

Kay Becker, Grand Sheik,
One Good Turn Tent, Germany
Ross
Admin
Admin

Scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've disabled the interactive section on the frontpage ie the photo of the month, jigsaw, videos and shoutbox. Let me know if this improves the loading time for you Eric.

I too sympathise with your dial up. I was on it myself for about 2 months recently and its a real drag.

Ross Owen, Grand Sheik,
Fra Diavolo Tent, Scotland
Find Hats Off
Tie Twiddler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
I've disabled the interactive section on the frontpage ie the photo of the month, jigsaw, videos and shoutbox. Let me know if this improves the loading time for you Eric.

I too sympathise with your dial up. I was on it myself for about 2 months recently and its a real drag.
It seems a little better, thank you.
Kay wrote:
The random image on the front page is not a small copy, it's scaled down. Can this be the problem?

Find Hats Off, perhaps it helps if you start with the 'Forum Index'?
http://laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/index.php
You're right- I should try that, and just make the Index page my "Bookmark" to the site. I like the front page, though.
JDV wrote:
Find Hats Off wrote:
You might as well put Stan's solo film, On the Front Page, in its entirety, on the front page!

Great. I haven't seen that one yet.
It's a good one. You can see it on the Lost Films Vol. 1 disc (which has been discontinued for a couple of years). It was made very shortly before Stan's teaming with Babe.
Find Hats Off
Tie Twiddler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan wrote:
It's not necessarily the videos that will slow down the system anyway. Lots of images will do it, just the same.

The amount of information coming down a non-digital line will always come much more slowly than through a Broadband connection.

You have my sympathies, My Friend! One thing to consider : In the UK, it is now almost the same price to get onto the lowest rung of the Broadband ladder as it is to have dial-up. Would that also be the case in the USA?

Stan
Evil or Very Mad
You're right about lots of images- there are some nice topics on Thelma Todd and Edgar Kennedy which have great photos, but I have to wait a few minutes for them to load completely on my computer. I've got dial-up for $12.95 (included in my regular telephone bill, and that's the same price since summer of 2003), but usually broadband is about $46.99 + around here. I'll have to shop around. There are usually some introductory offers, where it's less expensive for the first 6 months, and then they raise it way up, but maybe there's a better offer somewhere.

Ross, since you made those changes to the first page, it is noticably better.
Stan
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

England.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Mate

Try one of the cable companies. They often give a Broadband connection as an offer with cable TV (assuming you want the TV as well). After all, it all uses the same technology.

Stan
Very Happy
Find Hats Off
Tie Twiddler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan wrote:
Hiya Mate
Try one of the cable companies. They often give a Broadband connection as an offer with cable TV (assuming you want the TV as well). After all, it all uses the same technology.
Stan
Very Happy
I'm going to ask my cable TV company (Comcast) about that. Meanwhile, it really has gotten better since reducing the front page. Sorry to sound all dramatic about it and all- it just seemed that there were more and more things being added to the front page with no end in sight, so I decided to say something about it. If you want to try to make the list of recent topics a bit longer, go ahead. I'll let you know if there's any difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Support & Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

The Laurel & Hardy Forum: The world's biggest online database of information and discussions dedicated to the funniest comedy duo of all time.