FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
The Blotto Furniture
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dancing Master
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual furniture used in the BLOTTO rainbow club set would not have been painted in black and white/grey tones. They would have been painted colours that
photographed well in black and
white motion picture film of the day.

What that would be, I don't really know. My guess is maybe red and white that end up looking black and white on film.
Horse's Radish
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Furniture in the Boys' films Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of furniture and props seen in Stan and Babe's films,....I wouldn't mind owning a replica of the clutch that Babe tells Stan to throw out in PERFECT DAY. How about YOU?
NormaJean
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

bahamas.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HR, if you're gonna start wishing, I will wish you the clutch, too.

In return, you wish that I have the CAR!!!!

Hmmm, HR, familiar initials, methinks......

Laughing
Bruckman64
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Furniture in the Boys' films Reply with quote

Horse's Radish wrote:
While we're on the subject of furniture and props seen in Stan and Babe's films,....I wouldn't mind owning a replica of the clutch that Babe tells Stan to throw out in PERFECT DAY. How about YOU?

Well that shouldn't be too difficult - find yourself a junked Model T, disengage one of the pedals, and there you are.

As I pointed out on some other thread, it's not really a clutch - Model T's don't have clutches - but a pedal one pushes down for high or low gear, and that's probably the one Stan's throwing out.

The lever Stan's always fiddling with whenever he's in a Model T and Ollie's driving feeds gas to the engine - Ts don't have an accelerator pedal. The other lever (on the driver's left, on the steering column) adjusts the spark. Playing with that results in a COUNTY HOSPITAL-like backfire.

Better yet, just get yourself a Model T touring car and you can do any number of L&H scenes. (For an antique, a Model T is still quite affordable).
NormaJean
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

bahamas.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Mr. Bruckman, could you possibly tell me the models of the cars in the Another Fine Mess film? One is the Yellow Cab that Colonel Buckshot takes and the other is the limo that Lord Plumtree arrives in.

I am also fascinated with that lower half of the white statue on the other side of the front drive. It looks like possibly a Diana or Artemis, with the arrows and the little deer.. What say you?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/Diane_de_Versailles_Leochares_2.jpg/300px-Diane_de_Versailles_Leochares_2.jpg

Confused
Bruckman64
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormaJean wrote:
Ah, Mr. Bruckman, could you possibly tell me the models of the cars in the Another Fine Mess film? One is the Yellow Cab that Colonel Buckshot takes and the other is the limo that Lord Plumtree arrives in.

I am also fascinated with that lower half of the white statue on the other side of the front drive. It looks like possibly a Diana or Artemis, with the arrows and the little deer.. What say you?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/Diane_de_Versailles_Leochares_2.jpg/300px-Diane_de_Versailles_Leochares_2.jpg

Confused

I haven't watched ANOTHER FINE MESS in a long time. I'll have to review it tonight. My recollection is that the Yellow Cab was probably a mid-1920s Model T with modified taxicab body (by Ford). I think it's the same one seen in LEAVE 'EM LAUGHING and possibly ME AND MY PAL.

The limo??? I'll have to take a look. I'm not expert on pre-1955 cars.
Bruckman64
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having taken a look at the film, my opinion on the taxicab doesn't change.

The limo: all I can state for certain is that it's American made, on account of having left-hand drive. This is not a silly distinction; the British luxury car manufacturers were very much in vogue in the Twenties, perhaps more so than the American manufacturers of same. It's probably a Packard, but I can't be sure. It isn't a Pierce Arrow, the other major US producer of limos.

Right hand drive could even be found on some US made cars prior to World War I.

Trouble is, most cars of the period look very much alike. The one distinctive feature that the auto industry put on cars to distinguish them back then were the radiator shells, and colorful badges/cartouches on the radiator. Unfortunately I can't see the front of the limo in ANOTHER FINE MESS; the camera angle is to the side and too high.

The statue in the little grotto off to the side: yes, Diana or Artemis I think. There looks to be some other sort of animal (looks like a lion which can't be right) behind the female figure, to the right of screen; the dog (very stylized) is to left.

Number of other statues around a garden pond too, but too indistinct to make out (in the shot where the cop is looking about, just before Stan and Ollie start pulling down windowshades).

At the beginning of AFM, there's an ad giving the address of 1558 Poinsettia Drive, Beverly Hills. Is this the actual address of the house whose exterior is seen in the film? Consulting an LA map shows no Poinsettia Drive, but there is a North Poinsettia Place just off Sunset. 1558 would be in the middle of the block. Is Sunset that busy street we see in the background of the shot where the boys are running up the block?
NormaJean
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

bahamas.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than next year. Thanks so much, Mr. Bruckman, for answering my questions about the vintage cars and the statue. It really is fascinating.

When I read that Ty Parvis was the young singer in the Honolulu Baby musical number for Sons of the Desert, I Googled the name. Ran across two YouTube videos, on with the Honolulu Baby number from the feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ar0sphE9gQ&mode=related&search=

The other was a bit of a revelation: a short film with Billy Gilbert in a role I never thought he could do. Not only that, but check out all the tables and chairs in the night club musical number sequence!!!!!!!

Encore - Music in Your Hair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ar0sphE9gQ&mode=related&search=

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: