FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Berth Marks sound out of sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horse's Radish
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Berth Marks sound out of sync Reply with quote

How do you do,

I wonder how many people here are annoyed by the fact that part of the berth scene in Berth Marks is out of sync. In this day and age of audio technology, don't you think that SOMEONE would be capable of rectifying (and NO, I'm NOT performing an exam...) this situation?
Neil
Admin
Admin

England.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven`t experienced this myself , I have to admit that "Berth Marks" isn`t one I have shown at any of the meetings , but your right , surely somebody should have checked to make sure they were right before release , shame on them I say

Neil Evans, Grand Sheik,
Bacongrabbers Tent, Wigan and St Helens
Mr. Hall
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for current day viewing, it is distracting. But as a piece of film history, l think it gives it an early-era feel and charm. l'm just glad it wasn't normal...
Bruckman64
Singapore Eskimo
Singapore Eskimo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lack of synchronization is due to the fact current prints of BERTH MARKS use the silent version, with the text titles removed, for the visual element. When the text titles were inserted, a small amount of footage might be removed to fit the title in (as for example in the scene where Ollie says "I wish I'd checked you with the baggage!"). When the titles were removed to use the visual element for the "restored" BERTH MARKS, there's a bit of a "skip" here and there which results in the synchronization being thrown off.

I have a very old print of BERTH MARKS on video, not a "restored" print, and the dialogue is in sync, but the picture is less pristine than the newer copy I have of the film from the 1990s, especially the opening scenes.

There's also a dropped line of dialogue from current prints: towards the end, when the conductor comes into the sleeping car, he says, "Pottsville! Pottsville!" before going up to the boys' berth and saying "All out for Pottsville!" Current prints only have the latter line; the shot of the conductor coming into the car is truncated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: The Periwinkle Gazette All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: