FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in     
Laurel and Hardy in Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Laurel and Hardy in Chicago Reply with quote

Hey, check this out:
http://www.silentfilmchicago.com/SFSCevents.htm

"Coming Sunday, March 4, 2007, 2:30 p.m.
Silent Film Society Salutes the Kings of Comedy
Billy Bevan. Charley Chase. Harold Lloyd. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

These Kings of Comedy lit up the silent screen and made us laugh. Join the Silent Film Society of Chicago on Sunday, March 4, 2007, for an afternoon of silent film shorts featuring these comedic geniuses and see why their humor is as fresh today as it was in the 1920s. The special matinee program begins at 2:30 p.m. at the Portage Theatre in Chicago, IL.

Featured films include: Lizzie's of the Field (1924), Movie Night (1929), An Easterner Westerner (1920) and That's My Wife (1929). Live photoplay accompaniment will be provided by The West End Jazz Band and theatre organist Dennis Scott.

Ticket Info
Regular adult advance sale: $10.00
Seniors and students advance sale: $9.00
Day of show, all tickets: $12.00

Tickets are available at the Portage Theatre box office or from the Silent Film Society, c/o the Portage Theatre, 4050 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago. Or call SFSC at 773-205-7372."

It's nice to know that Stan + Ollie and other silent greats are going to be on the big screen in a theatre again, as they originally were. They continue to delight millions all over the world in 2007. If anybody at the Forum happens to be in Chicago on March 4, you know where to be.
Midnight Patrol
Jailbird
Jailbird

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: CHicago film show Reply with quote

Great news! Let all US Sons take heart from this. Surely it's a signe of revived interest.
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a website that lists silent movie screenings in the U.S.

http://www.silentsaregolden.com/silentmoviescreenings.html

I know that there's another site somewhere that lists screenings all over the world, but until I find that, at least there's this one to look at. Here's an interesting event coming up in California:

August 20 - "Laurel & Hardy Festival" - Balboa Park, Spreckels Organ Pavilion, San Diego, CA. - 619-702-8138 (Dennis James, accompanist)

It's interesting that only a small part of Stan and Babe's careers (in terms of time- less than two years) were spent making L+H team silent films (many more years were spent making solo films and the L+H talkie shorts and features), and yet, these silent shorts continue to be a delight to new audiences all over the world. Hopefully, there will be some screenings of their talkies, too.
Midnight Patrol
Jailbird
Jailbird

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: US screenings Reply with quote

Another sign of a revival?
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've found the website that I referred to above. It's a big listing of silent film screenings all around the world, of all types of films, from D.W. Griffith to F.W. Murnau, Sergei Eisenstein; dramatic features, comedies, documentaries, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~pringle/silent/screenings.html

I hope that everyone here can find something good in their area. Hopefully there are some Laurel and Hardy films shown from time to time.
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I just took another look and saw that the list was from 2003, so it doesn't seem to be an active website. Maybe at least some of the many links on that page might be helpful for someone here. The Silents Are Golden website seems to be up to date and good.
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurel and Hardy in Chicago Update:

My wife and I took ourselves and our kids to the Portage Theatre in Chicago today for this show. This was really a lot of fun. It was in a recently restored 1920s movie theatre, and you really felt like you were back in those times. There was a jazz band and an organist who played a lot of songs together, before and in between the films. They played a number of nice songs, while the covers of a hundred or so of vintage movie magazines were projected on the screen. Then, after a brief introduction, they showed Charley Chase's Movie Night. I had never seen this film before, but had read that this was one of his best films, and I agree. Tiny Sanford plays a theatre usher, and Charley Hall plays one of the guys sitting in Charley's row. There's a brief clip of the film that Charley and his family are watching: a love scene with Anita Garvin. The organist this afternoon played quite well in this and the other 4 films.

Next, they showed Harold Lloyd's An Eastern Westerner, in which Noah Young plays a tough crooked guy who runs the western town's saloon. There was a bit of unintentional comedy, when they had trouble getting the jazz band's music stand lights to go on, and the film started before they could play. They stopped the film and worked on the technical problem. The organist played the theme song from the popular game show, 'Jeprody', which is played toward the end of the show, while the contestants write down their answers to the final question. Then the Harold Lloyd film played without a problem, and the band played wonderfully.

Then, they had a sort of intermission, in which the band pretended to broadcast a 15-minute 1930s radio program, in which they played a few more songs and repeated commercial announcements for a roofing company which is sponsoring the show. That West End Jazz Band is really good. Then they showed Billy Bevan in Lizzies of the Field, which I had never seen before. It's a funny Mack Sennett bunch of delightful nonsense.

Speaking of delightful nonsense, they concluded the program with what the announcer said, "one of the best- uh, let me say that again, THE best-known comedy team of the 20th century, Laurel and Hardy". There was a lot of applause and cheering at just the mention of Laurel and Hardy. And then they showed That's My Wife. It was a Blackhawk Films print- some moments in the first few minutes of the film had dark "shadows" on the image, but overall, the picture quality was good.

There's always something extra special about seeing Laurel and Hardy with a few hundred people all together. The laughter rises, falls, and rolls like waves on the sea. We sure had a good time today. The theatre was quite full, and it was good to know that there's a continuing interest in the Boys and in silent comedy in general. Since it was a success, I hope that they will organize something like this again soon.
Midnight Patrol
Jailbird
Jailbird

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great news that this event was well supported. Let all US Grand Sheiks take comfort and trade on the publicity. There is - obviously - a demand for such events in the States, and US tents can take strength from this evidence.
Find Hats Off
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Patrol wrote:
It's great news that this event was well supported. Let all US Grand Sheiks take comfort and trade on the publicity. There is - obviously - a demand for such events in the States, and US tents can take strength from this evidence.

You're right.
Here's another event coming up on the Silents Are Golden website:

August 20 - "Laurel & Hardy Festival" - Balboa Park, Spreckels Organ Pavilion, San Diego, CA. - 619-702-8138 (Dennis James, accompanist)
Jeff
Jailbird
Jailbird

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L&H travelled through Chicago on their "Berth Marks" train ride en route to Pottsville.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Laurel & Hardy Forum Forum Index :: Worldwide Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: