The Marx Brothers Discussion

General discussion area. Talk about anything from soup to nuts.

Moderators: leonardo, Nico, Mr. Hall, sugardaddie, René Riva, Kay, Ross, BlackRaven, administrator, Neil

The Marx Brothers Discussion

Postby StanandOlliefan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Seeing as how I can't seem to find any topics fully dedicated to the Marx Brothers I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion about them. :D They are my second favourite comedy act of all time, (I think its pretty obvious who my favourites are) and Groucho, Harpo, Chico and sometimes Zeppo never manage to raise a laugh. :lol: Another favourite is the snobby upper-class character played by Margaret Dumont. The Marx Brothers started out in vaudeville and after developing their characters and such, hit the big time in broadway and the pictures, they made thirteen films between 1929 and 1949 not counting a silent film in 1921 called Humour risk which was supposedly destroyed, they are:-

The Cocoanuts (1929)
Animal Crackers (1930)
Monkey Business (1931)
Horse Feathers (1932)
Duck Soup (1933)
A Night at the Opera (1935)
A Day at the Races (1937)
Room Service (1938)
At the Circus (1939)
Go West (1940)
The Big Store (1941)
A Night in Casablanca (1946)
Love Happy (1949)

So discuss anything, your favourite of their movies, trivia, memorable moments, audio clips, their solo work E.g -You bet your life ect:-, youtube clips, opinions, rankings and/or reviews of each film you name it! :)

P.S- I recommend getting a copy of Harpo speaks if you are an avid Marx fan as this book gives you glimpes of his life on and off screen and once you start reading is very hard to put down! Even if he's not your favourite charatcer I say buy it! :D
- Sam (StanandOlliefan)
StanandOlliefan

Re: The Marx Brothers Discussion

Postby Matt R on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:42 pm

I enjoy the Marx Brithers a lot, though it has been a while since I watched them. My favourites of their films are DUCK SOUP, HORSE FEATHERS, MONKEY BUSINESS, A NIGHT AT THE OPERA and A DAY AT THE RACES. Interesting how, just like with Stan and Babe, the studio heads thought people would only enjoy the Marxes' films if there was a proper storyline and juvenile leads - funny how times change!

Matt

Matt R
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Postby vonbork on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:54 am

Here's two little seen pieces of film. Harpo played a small role in the silent movie Too Many Kisses in 1925 - without his brothers. While he's still wearing his wig, this time he actually gets to say some lines - if only on a title card.

And here's a short clip of some color test footage shot on the set of Animal Crackers. The fellow in the bathrobe is Harpo - without his wig!

Neat, huh? :)
Gabriel, blow your horn.

vonbork
Jailbird
Jailbird

Postby StanandOlliefan on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm

There those ones are great Vonbork! Heres one of my favourite bits on the piano, partly because it also includes Harpo! My favourite character:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsWI9EEric

Speaking of Harpo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oZXt_71CE

...my favourite harp solo. :D
- Sam (StanandOlliefan)
StanandOlliefan

Postby olzielawzy on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:17 pm

I find one Film really funny. Its the one where there Sat down and they ask Him to Cut the Cards. And he does... Literally...
Stan: Ollie, I Can't Get Organised!

olzielawzy

Postby StanandOlliefan on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:22 pm

olzielawzy wrote:I find one Film really funny. Its the one where there Sat down and they ask Him to Cut the Cards. And he does... Literally...

That would be Horse feathers! :D Tied with Duck Soup for my favourite Marx Movie.
P.S This gag was also used in the Three Stooges short, "Ants in the pantry" from 1935.
- Sam (StanandOlliefan)
StanandOlliefan

Postby El-Matador on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:57 pm

I dont mind The marx brothers although I remeber seeing a movie on CHannel 4 at one time but i think it was around 1945 so I cant remember it of by hand but it seemed a good movie.
Back to Mexico City with Don Sebastian and El-Matador with the Bullfight of the century lets get it on.

El-Matador
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

Postby StanandOlliefan on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 pm

El-Matador wrote:I dont mind The marx brothers although I remeber seeing a movie on CHannel 4 at one time but i think it was around 1945 so I cant remember it of by hand but it seemed a good movie.

The closest to that was "A night in Casablanca" which came out in 1946. :)
- Sam (StanandOlliefan)
StanandOlliefan

Postby Mr. Hall on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 pm

StanandOlliefan wrote:The closest to that was "A night in Casablanca" which came out in 1946. :)

Believe it or not, that's one of my favorites...
Probably because l'd expected it to be terrible
and l ended up laughing... alot . lf not for the
moment with Marilyn Monroe, this would've
been a better last film.
Member of the Boston Brats

Mr. Hall
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Midnight Patrol on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm no Marx Bros fan but I noticed Amazon is currently offering a 6-DVD set The Collection (Region 2) at £14.98 with free delivery in the UK. Any six DVDs for fifteen quid has to be good value, almost whatever the content, so if you're into this kind of entertainment, perhaps you'd like to know.
tell me that again
Midnight Patrol
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

Postby Mr. Hall on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:57 am

Midnight Patrol wrote: ... if you're into this kind of entertainment, perhaps you'd like to know.

l would. Thank you :D
Member of the Boston Brats

Mr. Hall
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby StanandOlliefan on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that Stan wasn't too fond of the Marx Brothers zany humour however Babe was a big fan, can anyone confirm this?
- Sam (StanandOlliefan)
StanandOlliefan

Return to Denker's Beer Garden