Some advice for novice needed

General discussion area. Talk about anything from soup to nuts.

Moderators: leonardo, Nico, Mr. Hall, sugardaddie, René Riva, Kay, Ross, BlackRaven, administrator, Neil

Some advice for novice needed

Postby rbar on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Hi there - I have seen probably most feature films and many shorts, but I don't own any films, and what I saw for sale seemed woefully incomplete and rather costly. I read (I believe it was in the German Spiegel online) that there is a lot good L&H material on the web, although they did not provide a link.
For instance: When I just looked for one of my personal favorites (saps at sea), the only thing I come up with are 2.5 minutes with Italian dubbing on youtube. Is there a secret space where I find all the good stuff????
rbar
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Re: Some advice for novice needed

Postby Mr. Hall on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 am

Welcome, rbar, nice to meet you. :P
rbar wrote: Is there a secret space where I find all the good stuff????

Amazon. And look into an all-region dvd player. They're affordable.

l hope you have a good time here
There're alot of friendly folks and things to see here.
:)
Member of the Boston Brats
Grand Sheik, Finishing Touch
Mr. Hall
Admin
Admin

Postby Ross on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:14 am

rbar wrote:Is there a secret space where I find all the good stuff????

Hello rbar. We try our best not to infringe copyright here on the forum, therefore we do not host links to direct downloads of copyrighted films nor do we have any 'secret' space as such. As a registered member of the forum, what you see is what you get. Mr Hall is spot on with his recommended link. Welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you're looking for :D
"Any bird can build a nest, but it isn't everyone who can lay an egg!"
Ross
Admin
Admin

Postby rbar on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Thank you both. I just went through the amazon listings again. All there is are various editions of feature movies. Promising titles like "Laurel and Hardy classics" and "Laurel and Hardy classic shorts" are unavailable (or occ. you find a used one with a hefty price tag). I also looked (again) what they have on netflix.

I did not expect any "secret rooms" (altough I do realize that even links to youtube can involve a copyright problem), but rather an archive or site that does not show up with the usual googling/video search (as the mentioned Spiegel article about free and legal downloads seemed to suggest). If that mysterious archive does not exist, let me rephrase my question: what is the best currently available collection of (classic) shorts? Can you find "saps at sea" on DVD (I found it only on VHS), with whatever regional code?
rbar
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Postby Ross on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Which part of the world are you? I highly recommend the 21 disc boxset. Saps At Sea is in there along with tons of other complete Laurel and Hardy films.

Here's a link...

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/157802/L ... Price&fb=0

Titles included are:

1. A Chump At Oxford / Related Shorts
2. Classic Shorts / Someone's Ailing
3. Way Out West / Shorts
4. Classic Shorts / Ollie And Matrimony
5. Our Relations / Dual Roles Shorts
6. Classic Shorts / Murder In The Air
7. Blockheads / Themed Shorts
8. Classic Shorts / Blackmail
9. The Bohemian Girl / Related Shorts
10. Classic Shorts / Be Big / Laughing Gravy
11. Saps At Sea / Themed Shorts
12. Classic Shorts / Laurel And Hardy And The Law
13. Sons Of The Desert / Related Shorts
14. Classic Shorts / A Job To Do
15. Pack Up Your Troubles / Related Shorts
16. Classic Shorts / Maritime Adventures
17. Swiss Miss / Animal Shorts
18. Classic Shorts / Married Life
19. Pardon Us / One Prison Short
20. Classic Shorts / More Brushes With The Law
21. Bonus disc: Brats (alternative version) / A Tribute To The Boys / Hinter Schloss Und Riegel / Prudence / Thundering Fleas / Fluttering Hearts
Ross
Admin
Admin

Postby Kay on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 pm

rbar wrote: I read (I believe it was in the German Spiegel online) that there is a lot good L&H material on the web, although they did not provide a link.

Yes, it was Spiegel online but they only wanted to show that not every film you find on the net is illegal. So they checked some archives and also found a few Laurel & Hardy films like the Flying Deuces. That's all, I'm sorry. They didn't say that you'll find every film of the Boys there. This German article is here again: http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,15 ... 46,00.html and on page 8 you'll find the links to the archives...
Stan: "Do you mind if I smoke?"
Mae: "I don't care if you burn up!"

Grand Sheik of the 'One Good Turn' Tent, #256 Germany
Kay
Global Mod
Global Mod

Horns, horns ...

Postby rbar on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Thank you, Kay and Ross. I am a little surprised that based on the availability of the apparently pretty complete 21 box set, European fans are either more numerous, or their interest is more in depth.

I would spend 50 pounds + delivery, but play.com does not allow delivery to the US (that's where I am) ... 150 plus delivery (I think that's the amazon.uk price) is a little much rigt now. Any other source than play.com? Thanks a lot.
rbar
Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

Postby Ross on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 pm

There's usually loads of the boxsets available on ebay. I'm sure you'll find a reasonably priced one there. You can even buy them individually on ebay if you want to.

click here to see the current list on ebay.

This guy definately ships to the USA.
Ross
Admin
Admin

Return to Denker's Beer Garden