Lip reading the silents?

Movie reviews & discussion area about the silent movies.

Moderators: Nico, Mr. Hall, René Riva, Kay, administrator

Lip reading the silents?

Postby BlackRaven on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:37 am

I just wondered if the silents had ever been lip-read?

There are quite a bit of speech in some of them, but hardly any showcards. Would have been an interesting extra to have put subtitles on the DVD of what was ACTUALLY being said.

I often wonder whether they were ALWAYS actually speaking in character. When I have lip-read what they have said, they seem to be saying stuff relevant to the situation anyway.

BlackRaven
Admin
Admin

Postby Ross on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:45 am

Its quite common knowledge that more often than not the actors would say just about anything while filming scenes in the silent era. There was no written dialogue apparantly. I think someone asked this question before and it got quite a bit of feedback. We shall see.
"Any bird can build a nest, but it isn't everyone who can lay an egg!"

Ross
Admin
Admin

Postby loris on Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:27 pm

Lip-reading? subtitles? THAT IS A VERY GOOD IDEA! :D

---tell me that again---
loris
Jailbird
Jailbird

Postby BlackRaven on Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Subtitles on all silents gone by may generate new interest in them.

BlackRaven
Admin
Admin

Postby Idle Al on Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:02 pm

A guy I work with has a sister who has a friend who is deaf who can lip-read (are you following this?) and I have given him a couple of DVDs to give to her (to give to me to give to her) and asked if she can tell me what's being said. I'll let you know!
"Hard boiled eggs and nuts....hmmm!"

Idle Al
Puffinjay
Puffinjay

Postby Hickory-Hiram on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:04 pm

Well I know the "baby" in WHY GIRLS LOVE SAILORS says "Screw You'se!" after been pushed down stairs in his pram! Check it out! And Stan refers to Ollie as Babe all the time in BIG BUSINESS
"Well blow me down with an anchovy....."

Hickory-Hiram
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Waiter (uncredited) on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:26 pm

I think you mean Sailors Beware, not Why Girls Love Sailors.
We're out out of Orange, Gooseberry and Chocolate!
Wel, Dyma stomp bach arall ti 'di gadael fi y'no fo!
Waiter (uncredited)
Jailbird
Jailbird

Postby Hickory-Hiram on Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:02 pm

Of course I mean Sailors Beware. How do you expect me to uphold the dignity of our site when even the waiter belittles me?? Umph!
"Well blow me down with an anchovy....."

Hickory-Hiram
Hard Boiled Egg
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Ross on Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:41 pm

Maybe you should give the doctor a continental Hickory :D
"Any bird can build a nest, but it isn't everyone who can lay an egg!"

Ross
Admin
Admin

Postby Idle Al on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:52 pm

Hickory-Hiram wrote:How do you expect me to uphold the dignity of our site when even the waiter belittles me?? Umph!

I can lend you a pole, but I need it back by Tuesday. I'm giving it to my sister for her birthday!
"Hard boiled eggs and nuts....hmmm!"

Idle Al
Puffinjay
Puffinjay

Postby Find Hats Off on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm not deaf, but there's one part that I've been able to lip-read well enogh to be sure of what's being said. This is an interesting example of at least one time that they knew what the title was going to say while they were filming. In Angora Love, there's the gag where the boys sit down next to each other and Ollie starts to rub Stan's feet, thinking those are his own feet. Stan says to Ollie, via subtitle, "Scratch my back". Ollie responds without a subtitle giving us his words, but you can clearly see that he's saying, "Scratch your own back." He says some more after this, but I could never figure out what he was saying.

Back when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I saw just a part of Beau Hunks on tv, and remember seeing that same foot-rubbing gag being redone for that talkie. I never did see any of that film again until just the other week, when I borrowed a video tape from the 80 ("L+H Comedy Classics" series from the Nostalgia Merchant), and finally saw the film through for the first time. Ollie responds with, "Scratch your own back. I've got troubles of my own." Since that's an exact re-doing of a situation from Angora Love, I'm figuring that this is what he was saying in the original film as well. I'm going to put on my DVD and check this out.

Update: I watched Angora Love again, and it appears that Ollie's saying what I thought: "Go scratch your own back- I've got problems of my own..." and after that I haven't a clue what he's saying.
Last edited by Find Hats Off on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie: "You have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool a Hardy."
Stan: "What time?"
Find Hats Off
Pee Wee
Pee Wee

'Early To Bed'/'Wrong Again' Connection?

Postby Jeff on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:37 am

The first scene of "Early To Bed", after Ollie opens the letter informing him of his inheritance, Stan cries. Ollie appears to say "What's the matter Stan?" or "What's the matter with you Stan?" Incidentally, there is a picture of 'Blue Boy' hanging on the wall in Ollie's mansion. I assume it's the same one used in 'Wrong Again'. Perhaps the mansion set is also the same one seen in 'Wrong Again'?
Jeff
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

Postby Lucy on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:02 pm

Also in Habeus Corpus and Big Buisness Stan can clearly be seen shouting 'BABE!' and in Their Purple Moment- when Stan realises that he has no money in his wallet- Babe looks up an says ' Why havn't you touched your food?' :)
He'll cut your throat from ear to there!

Lucy
Director
Director

Postby Jeff on Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:06 am

When 'false French Governors' Stan and Ollie are seated at the dinner party in "Second 100 Years", Stan has lots of trouble trying to capture the cherry on his plate (before it lands in the lady's dress). You can lip-read Ollie saying to him "Use your fork". Later in the scene I think he tells Stan to use his spoon.
Jeff
Overstuffed Polliwog
Overstuffed Polliwog

also in "we faw down"...

Postby leonardo on Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:20 pm

In "We faw down", I thougth I saw Stan, holding the newspaper and trying to catch Ollie's attention, say : pssst! BABE!

leonardo

Next

Return to Silents